Tuesday 8 October 2013

MFW | 5 Trends at Milan Fashion Week - Wrap Up for SS14

The overtly sexualised Milan Fashion Week toned down quite a bit this year with more emphasis on art than previous seasons. MFW always showcase some of the most well recognised and provocative brands like DSquared2, Versace, Dolce & Gabbana and Gucci. Although many labels still had sexy pieces and cutting which complimented the feminine silhouette, what I found most interesting were the very bold accessories. These statement pieces were definitely the highlight of the shows and got me checking out the photos over and over again. The great thing about having great accessories at a show is that the whole look is for sale and so well put together. Check out my other posts for London Fashion Week and New York Fashion Week.

Photos will be uploaded here.


My favourite show was probably Roberto Cavalli, followed by Versace and Giorgio Armani.

Sporty: Cool Class
I really love the sports luxe trend because it's so carefree and sexy. The outfits are cool and collected with a touch of feminine energy backed by athleticism. It's good to see that it's going well and the best ones were from Iceberg. It's super easy to rock the sporty look in summer because all the swimsuits in Milan Fashion Week were amazing.


Origami: Paper or Fabric?
The ancient art of Oriental paper folding made its way to Milan Fashion Week. Many dresses were draped, folded, ruffled and scrunched to create a very 3D effect. Often, the pieces were more voluminous with the way it was structured. The textures in the dresses really showed expert craftsmanship and Bottega Veneta did this exceptionally well.


Fine Art: Fashion Gallery
Wouldn't it be fun to be a canvas? Milan Fashion Week boasts some of the most interesting graphics on dresses and tops. The garments were colour-blocked, rhinestoned, and printed with art. The models walked down like a parade of canvases. Most notably, Prada created dresses with muses but my favourite were Dolce & Gabbana for complimenting what they did with menswear earlier this year.


Scissored Up: Snip to Chic
Cut outs were some of my favourites this season. Costume National created pieces which were very rustic in cutting and draped over the body. Some of them created very interesting shapes but others were quite plain. I can't decide which is better, the floral cut out pants from Versace or the white cut out jacket from Just Cavalli.


Bralettes: The IT item?
It seems that this is the IT item at MFW. Left, right and centre, shows had sexy ladies walking out confidently in bralette tops. Some were discrete while Prada was telling you all about it. The Versace ones were so good, accented with their logo.


You might find it weird that I didn't pick any items for Giorgio Armani even though it was one of my favourites, or that I only picked very little Roberto Cavalli pieces, but it was because their shows were really fun to watch. I loved the the 'hats' interlude in the Giorgio Armani show and the set up of the Roberto Cavalli show with spotlights and his shiny garments.

I haven't blogged for ages - I got so busy in the past two weeks and last week I worked consecutively for 7 days. Worries about uni/ study and everything held me back from blogging (although I didn't study either). Oh and Animal Crossing took over my life. The new Pokemon game comes out this weekend so I'm sure that would take up my life even more.

No comments:

Post a Comment