Friday 12 April 2013

MBFWA13 | Alice McCall

So on Wednesday morning of Mercedes-Benz Fashion Week Australia, everyone was quite excited for this show. This one had goodie bags! Alice McCall is a largely celebrated Australian designer. After the show finished, the crowd was extremely pleased with the result. But for me, initially, it wasn't as great as I had expected. It was a great show and it showed off a lot of talent but I felt like I expected and wanted to see more from Alice McCall. Looking back at the photos on the MBFWA website, the pieces in the show held together very well, the overall looks were very earthy and boho.


I enjoyed the overall looks and styling of the models on the runway and the items felt very spring and summery with the way it flowed. There was certainly a lot of movement in the garments in contrast to Ginger & Smart. The dresses were well fitted but loose enough or with loose appendages to create a soft and flowing feel. Other pieces had cutting to create voids and patterns. I didn't enjoy these as much as I would have liked to, although some were very clever.

On the plain visuals side of the garments, there were a few with oustanding prints. But for the show itself, I didn't feel that it was as strong as it could have been. The choice of music could have been more summery to reflect the season it is designed for (I feel that some designers - especially in Raffles, later - did not fully reflect what spring and summer should be about).

The garments, however were very wearable and this could mean good sales for Alice McCall.

My four favourite looks:

Low cleavage summer. Yes please.

No comments:

Post a Comment